Historical Romance

Historical Romance with an Inspirational Touch

Friday, February 11, 2011

Stepped Out of My Comfort Zone

Today I tried something new. For those who know me I am behind the scenes type of person. I write my novels from my laptop and prefer to remain in the background. The idea of promoting, in person, has always terrified me. It is the same with the theater. I love being at the theater, but I love being in the makeup room and never on stage. I've never known if it is shyness, awkardness, who knows. I just know that being up front and noticed has never been something I am comfortble with.

Well, as the title states, I stepped out of my Comfort Zone and appeared on a local show today, Good Company, and promoted my book, Loving Lydia. It was the Week of Love on Good Company and they had some wonderful segements for restaurants, jewelry, clothing, etc. And, they gave away one of my books each day this week, which I loved. Then it came time for me to be on the show. I think I must have lost five pounds (not a bad thing) from stressing over this.

Anyway, I thought I would share it on the blog today. My first blog for February (how sad is that). The Wizard of Oz will close on Sunday so I know I will have more time to blog after that. It has been a fun run, but exhausting. There were times I wasn't sure I would ever get the green out from under my fingernails - but the witch looked awesome. Add the silver from the tinman, browns from the scarecrow, pinks and sparkles for Glenda, and a rainbow of colors on the munchkins, the back of my hands and fingers made for some very interesting color combinations.

Anyway, I digress. Here is the segment of the show: Loving Lydia Segment on Good Company.

I am not sure if I will do something like this in the future, but I am glad it did this today. I think it is good to step out of your comfort zone on occasion, don't you? When is the last time you did and what was it ?

9 comments:

  1. good for you. I love the Wizard of OZ and performing/dancing in it years of a go. I'm heading out of my comfort zone organizing a poetry reading program for the group of women I teach locally...in April-national poetry month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lin, that sounds fun. I didn't know April was National poetry month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! That sort of thing can be difficult for us introvert authors, but it's always a worthy growing experience - as well as good promotion for our books! I did my first video interview last week. I was pretty much a nervous wreck beforehand, but it turned out to be a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome and exciting! So glad you did this!!! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The time I spoke to our deacon body was definitely outside my comfort zone but God honored it big time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so proud of you, Amy! This is wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you. Have noticed a lot of the writers are also those individuals involved one way or the other in theatre??? I did a fun class at Faithwriters last year about developing your characters using theatre techniques. Great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's so exciting! Good for you for stepping out of your comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I applied for a job, and afterwards I felt better about applying for jobs. So yeah, I guessed I stepped out of my comfort zone. I'm not sure how doing software qa, or office management, will help me find time to write though.

    ReplyDelete