Historical Romance

Historical Romance with an Inspirational Touch

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

A New Challenge

In the past I've blogged about community theatre - a lot!  This year alone I have done hair and makeup on some wonderful productions.  The first in 2012 was Big River where I had to figure out how to and then tar and feather an actor in a page and a half of script.  If you haven't done theatre, let me tell you, that is not very much time.  I tried corn syrup and chocolate first, thinking I need it to be sticky so the feathers would stay on.  It just ran.  Adding cornstarch didn't help.  So, next I tried black body paint.  Silly me, it worked.  So, for the run of the show as the actor stripped out of his costume down to his longjohns I had a sponge and painted all the exposed skin I could find, and occasionally an eyeball (he was the one moving, not me).  A few contacts (his, not mine) were destroyed in the process.  And while I was doing this, a young cast member stood by with a bowl of white fathers that I practically threw on the wet paint in time for him to crawl out on the stage. I was never able to see what it looked like from the audience, but I have decided it was awesome :).

I was supposed to take a break until May but while at the Spring Fling in Chicago I received a text message that the production of Chicago needed someone on hair and makeup.  The person they had came down with appencitis and if rumor is correct, found out she was pregnant at the same time.  I walked in five days before opening and got to work. It was fun. I think it is because I didn't have time to worry about anything and just get the job done. My favorite character to makeup was Mary Sunshine.  By the time I was done with him, he was beautiful.  Okay, maybe not beautiful but he has the perfect lips for lipstick.  So unfair I tell you!

The next scheduled show, more of a hair show, was Hello Dolly and after that, I went to work on Hairpray. This was a cast of 109 (that is not a typo).  I had five people working constantly to bring that 1962 look to the stage.  Again, my favorite person to make pretty was Edna.  I am beginning to see a theme.  I did the makeup for a guy in Hello Dolly who went out as the Statue of Liberty in the parade scene. Hmmmm.  The only downside to Hairspray was it was in the Tent = outside in 90-100+ degree weather.  Those poor actors never let it affect them as they danced on the stage every night.  But, thanks to Tosha Maaks (lead on hair) none of those beehives fell :).

But, probably my biggest experience in theater this year is taking place right now.  I am co-directing Twelve Angry Men. I've always loved this show and this is my first foray into directing adults, some of them directors themselves. It is a bit daunting but after rehearsal tonight (our first) I am so excited to see how it all comes together. Okay, I was excited before this, and a little nervous.

Have you ever directed before? Any tips you want to pass on?  If not, what do you think of the show I chose for my debut into adult theatre?

On a side note, if you love the A&E Romance Classics, my friend, Jerrica Knight-Catania is giving away the entire DVD box set.   Check out her blog for a chance to enter.

6 comments:

  1. That sounds really cool - and challenging! Good luck with Twelve Angry Men!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recently, I didnt give lots of consideration to leaving comments on site page articles and have placed comments even much less. Reading via your nice posting, will assist me to do so sometimes.
    for baby online games

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is one of the most significant information for me. And i'm glad reading your article. But should remark on some general things, The web site style is wonderful, the articles is really great : D. Good job, cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. This natural cure has been used a lot for numerous different health problems. It can be used as a Natural Remedies for Grover’s Disease. You must grind some neem leaves to make a paste and then rub on it over rashes. Buy Herbal Product for Grover’s Disease is a part of many healthcare products. These manufactured goods can be produced by Herbs Solutions by Nature.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Natural Remedies for Emphysema offer people an alternative to traditional medicine and can be used for easy breathing, and Emphysema Treatment Natural. A balanced diet can help people with emphysema by improving lung function Best Natural Cure for Emphysema. Type of diet boosts a person’s energy and helps Natural Treatment for Emphysema when combined with exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. An herbal supplement can be used as a natural solution for delayed ejaculation in men to strengthen pelvic floor muscles further. One Herbal Supplement for Delayed Ejaculation is Herbs Solutions by Nature Delay Ejaculate Formula, which supports prostate health and erection quality. Herbs Solutions by Nature offers an herbal supplement that is a natural treatment for delayed ejaculation.

    ReplyDelete